Friday, June 11, 2010

IF: Ripple

This week's IF challenge is to raise awareness and money for the wildlife affected by the Gulf Oil Spill. Kelly Light has taken on this wonderful initiative. Read More at http://ripplesketches.blogspot.com/ I  didn't want this entry to be neat - I wanted it to be messy like the slick. I used pastels and got my hands dirty but it didn't feel good... I was angry as I drew and finished it in record time because I think the cause is most important. I am going away this weekend and I didn't want this one to slip by....

"Ripple" by Mohita Iyer
When will we feel the ripple?
When the sky and salt are soaked with the blood on our hands?
When the sun shines red?
When the parched earth is ripped to bands?
When oil-stained life takes it's last breath?
When we see existence come to its death?
Why wait? We are not small, not voiceless, nor unfeeling...
Why not give our gift a whole new meaning?

6 comments:

  1. Very meaningful! I'm glad you participated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice combination of colors and words. great work. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Partha and Sally for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poetry, and I love the colors you used here- the colors of anger and rage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your depiction of ripple is very powerful and following the link to ripple sketches I found all the pieces very moving. I look at my piece a little differently now. We take the natural beauty of our environment for granted. Using the reds in your image evokes exactly how you were feeling while using your pastels. your poem is powerful also. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words and image Mohita, very powerful. It's wonderful what Kelly is achieving with everyone's help. Over $4000 at the last count!

    ReplyDelete